Being a soft-spoken person, there have been many times where people didn’t believe in her.
1. In elementary school, someone close said she didn’t see that shy girl going to college but she did.
2. That little girl’s best friend said she was surprised at how competitive she was in sports in Junior High given her timid nature.
3. Bullies in Junior High were surprised when she fought back.
4. Classmates were surprised at her performance in speech class.
5. Her track coach admitted he didn’t expect much of her because of her little build yet she broke a record the first time she was placed on the relay team.
6. Her guidance counselor in High School thought she could not make it in advertising and thought she should be an accountant. Yet advertising sales gave her the chance to meet amazing people, challenge herself, have fun and make money.
7. Her friends and family have said they have been amazed at what she has been able to accomplish given how little she spoke around the dinner table growing up.
8. One of her first teammates in her first sales jobs questioned the manager for hiring her on one of the first days on the job. Yet that same person worked saw what she was truly capable of achieving.
9. While even her husband who has believed in her even when she did not believe in herself, jokes now about how he thought they would be poor. He could care less about her career success though. It isn’t him that didn’t believe in her. It was the girl who didn’t believe in herself. That girl is me. It can still be me when I let self-doubt take over.
If you are a soft-spoken person you have likely felt the same way. If you haven’t surprised people yet, then what is stopping you? Even if you are not soft spoken for all of you who don’t believe in yourselves, ask why? Why can’t you do what you want to accomplish? You are capable if you have a strong desire! Have courage! Remind yourself every time you have been able to accomplish more than you or anyone else thought you could.
Make a list. Write down all the nonbelievers in your life and who you welcomed to the club of people who thought you couldn’t yet you showed them they were wrong about you! Recall all the times you even didn’t think you could but did!
Start preparing your mind through positive self-talk. Whether you are soft-spoken, little, not as … as you wish you were, think again. Instead, when anyone underestimates you, think to yourself “watch out!” Be energized by showing them what you can do!! You may be able to climb mountains! You will blow them away! Most importantly, set out to surprise yourself and have glory in being amazed by the one person that matters most! All you need to do is believe in yourself! You’ve just been taught how!
Photograph taken of Half Dome Mountain at Yosemite